Tuesday, January 27, 2009

IMAGINARY SNOW DAY

Today I call my mom. She says, “Brrr, it’s cold,” and I tell her how I’ve changed outfits 3 times already to keep up with the impending and unbearable coldness. At that she says that it’s supposed to freeze tonight and flood tomorrow, followed by the frantic statement, “I’m going to HEB right now to buy toilet paper!”

At first I secretly laugh at her overdone sense of planning, but then I realize that we’re almost out of toilet paper in my house as well. “Wouldn’t want to be stranded at home all day without any,” she says. “Oh my god, she’s right,” I think.

My friend and I make an emergency trip to the grocery store, and soon I find myself buying the “essentials” a la Y2K. “In case I get snowed in tomorrow...” This thought precedes my purchase of chips and salsa, squash, ginger root (for tea), brownie mix, and enough chicken and sour cream to make a small feast of chicken paprikash.

I come home and tell my roommate, “Don’t worry about tomorrow-- I have whiskey. When we get snowed in, we can drink Irish coffees and eat brownies.” I know that I’m not leaving the house tomorrow, no matter what the weather. It’s set in my mind that the whole world will be covered in a sheet of ice-- plus, I already have all the supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment